Sunday, March 11, 2012

Feeling Saucey Cheese Sauce

When my gluten free journey began, I was misdiagnosed numerous times. At one point I was told I was lactose intolerant and truth be told, this diagnosis was much harder for me to take then my celiac diagnosis!I really do enjoy diary, there is something so comforting about it. Here's my cheese sauce recipe. I make home made mac and cheese with this sauce, put it over potatoes, and use it as a dip for veggies. Kids and adults both love this stuff! Here's a few tips for you:
  1. My recipe calls for shredded cheese. I highly recommend shredding the cheese yourself or using cheese slices over pre shredded cheeses. The pre shredded cheeses, although convenient contain a coating so it doesn't all clump together in the bag, this same ingredient will make it difficult for you to achieve a creamy sauce. You will have a grainy texture.
  2. In general, if you do buy pre shredded cheeses, make sure the anti clumping agent they use is either a cornstarch or potato starch. Some of these cheeses have flour, so NOT gluten free!
 If you adore cheese like I do or your simply feeling a little saucey, this is the sauce for you!
Cheese Sauce

Ingredients
¾ cup of milk
1 cup of cheese shredded
1 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tsp of salt
Pinch of pepper

Directions
1.     Pour milk into a saucepan and heat gently over a low heat, do not allow to boil.
2.   Add your shredded cheese and whisk gently until cheese is melted.
3.   Combine cornstarch and melted butter and stir until combined.
4.   Slowly whisk in the  butter mixture into the cheese mixture.
5.   Whisk in salt and pepper.
6.   Allow to heat and continue to stir, sauce will begin to thicken as it heats.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    Thanks for sharing a great recipe. My son has celiac. He loves cheese as well.
    It sounds and looks tasty.
    Great article!

    ReplyDelete