Thursday, March 1, 2012

Oven Baked French Fries

I love french fries.. I mean LOVE them. If I had to eat one food everyday for the rest of my life it would be french fries. But here's the thing... not all french fries are created equal. It seems fairly simple, you take a potato chop that sucker up, and let it fry to golden brown. However, french fries are one of those foods that are gluten hideouts. Many chain restaurants and fast food restaurants DO NOT have gluten free french fries. Essentially what you are eating is a fried mass of chemicals and additives, many of which contain gluten. I did an experiment with my students that changed the way I look at my beloved fries. We took french fries from 3 different fast food chains and french fries we made from potatoes and left them out to see how fast they decompose. The natural fry was limb by days end but 1 week later our fast food fries still looked as delicious as when we bought them! Now if that doesn't scare you I don't know what will! Anyway, the second thing about fries that can scare the pants off you is the fat content from frying in oil. So I asked myself...... how can I enjoy my fries gluten free, no crazy chemicals to scare the pants off me and no frying to make me not fit into my pants.. and here you go.. oven baked french fries! Enjoy!
Baked Seasoned Fries
¼ Cup parmesan cheese
I Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon basil
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
4 medium Potatoes, cut in fries

Preheat the oven to 425.
Cut potatoes into thin fries.
Place potato fries on cookie sheet.
 Toss oil and seasonings together and toss over potato fries.
Bake 425 for 15-20 minutes. Or until crispy and golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment