Monday, June 4, 2012

Ragu Pasta Bake


One of the many things I was diagnosed with over the course my Celiac journey was lactose intolerance. This was devastating for me, I could survive on cheese alone. Once I received my Celiac diagnosis I was relieved that I could still eat cheese. But, then I realized, what do you eat cheese on? Bread, crackers, macaroni ,all things I could no longer enjoy. I set out to find gluten free options for my favorite comfort foods. This recipe is a great substitute for the lasagna I can no longer enjoy. I am yet to find a gluten free lasagna noodle that can stand up to my meaty ragu. A ragu is an Italian sauce that has meat in it and usually served over a thick pasta.  Traditionally, it is made with pork or beef. I used Butterball Sweet Turkey Sausage which is gluten free and incredibly flavorful! Sneak some veggies in there! I put a whole 10 oz bag of spinach in mine. Peppers and mushrooms are also easy to sneak into this dish.
Ragu Pasta Bake
1 lb of gluten free pasta
1 ½  cup of shredded mozzarella
1lb package of Butterball sweet turkey sausage
2 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
10 oz bag of spinach
8 oz package of button mushrooms
1 TBSP of Olive Oil
1 tsp minced garlic
Pinch of salt and pepper
Directions
1.         Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.        Cook your pasta until al dente, basically just a little firmer than you would want it to be.
3.        Heat oil in a deep sauté pan and cut sausage out of the casings (make a slit with a knife and the sausage and peel the casing off). Add garlic, mushrooms and the sausage to the pan and cook until the meat is browned. Break the meat up into smaller pieces with your spoon while it cooks.
4.        Add your favorite tomato sauce, spinach, salt and pepper and allow to simmer for 10 – 15 mins.
5.        Combine meat sauce and pasta. Put half of the pasta into a baking dish and sprinkle half of the mozzarella on top. Add the other half of the pasta and top with the remainder of the cheese.
6.        Bake until the cheese is melted and edges begin to brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment